The goal of every ad is to engage viewers and generate traffic for your website and services.
That raises the question: do you need a professional designer to create images for your digital advertising campaigns?
Gone are the difficult days of designing images. Thanks to technology, you can now create impactful images in less time than it takes to deliver a pizza! In fact, you can design your first image in as little as 10 minutes.
The real challenge is to make your advertisements stand out. After all, your prospective guests are tempted with hundreds of ads daily. So, how can you make sure that your ad captures their attention?
Stand out by following two simple principles:
Adhere to advertising best practices
Create clean, high-quality images
Common Sizing of Ad Images
Before you start posting, you need to know what type of image you’re working with. When it comes to ad performance, size and file type matter. Take a look at this handy guide we’ve created below and refer back to it when you need to.
File size limit
Facebook – single-image ad
JPG or PNG
1080 x 1080 px
Facebook – carousel ad
JPG or PNG
1080 x 1080 px
Instagram – single-image
JPG or PNG
1080 x 1080 px or 1200 x 628 px
Instagram – carousel
JPG or PNG
Min. 600 x 600 px, Max. 1080 x 1080 px
Google – landscape
1200 x 628 px
Google – square
1200 x 1200 px
8 Best Practices for Creating Ad Images
1. Use High-Resolution Images: Using the highest resolution images available avoids image distortion. You can find thousands of high-quality stock photos on sites like Unsplash and Canva. It's an excellent option if you're just starting out because the images are free and professional quality.
2. Take Your Own Photos: Original pictures generally perform better than stock images. All you need is your mobile device, good lighting and a few minutes to take great pictures. Choose or create images that communicate why your business, product, or service is unique.
3. Go Easy on the Text: Try a smaller font and fewer words when using text on your advertising images. Images that feature less than 20% of text perform better. Remember: a picture is worth a thousand words, so let the picture do the talking.
4. Add Multiple Images Using the Carousel Format: Creating an image carousel for your ad allows you to use several pictures for the same advertising cost. This is a great way to showcase multiple products or services all at once.
5. Use Location-Specific Imagery: It’s important to target specific demographics and regions with your ads. Your ad design must reflect this by using images that speak to specific audiences. This helps your business connect with and target local markets.
6. Use Numbers to Get Your Point Across: People pay attention to numbers in ads because it helps them assess value more quickly. Be sure to use any number that helps support your ad's benefit, such as: "2 for 1" or "20% off!" Viewers can't help but notice words like "SAVE 10%, 15%, or 20%."
7. Show People Using Your Products and Services: Show real people using your product rather than simply displaying your product by itself. For example, we recommend using pictures of your guests getting a facial / spa service. This helps your audience imagine themselves using or experiencing your products and services.
8. Show Faces: Users relate more to ads when they can see people's faces. It's where most of us look when we first meet a person, and it helps us connect with them right away. Your advertising images should include happy, smiling faces for better performance.
Avoid Making This Mistake with Your Ad Images
Say “NO” to Sensitive Images: Images that imply or attempt to generate negative self-perception around promoting beauty, weight loss, or other health-related services can result in your ad being flagged. Additionally, refrain from using partially nude or sexually sensitive images, such as images of waxing. These images risk violating social media community guidelines.
How to Start Creating Your Ad Images
Step 1: Find Your Image Inspiration
Before you start working on an image, you can draw inspiration by scanning through hundreds of high-performing ads that relate to your products, services and industry.
For example, go to the Facebook Ads Library, type in your keyword "Salon Gift Card," and hit enter. You can see all the ads promoting the products and services using that keyword.
This allows you to build a full of photos that you can download and use as inspiration for your own ads!
Step 2: Start Structuring Your Image
After narrowing down your inspiration, you can start creating your ads with your original or stock photography. Try using free apps like Canva to structure your images or use one of their many pre-made templates.
It is important to properly structure your ad in order to make the images appealing to the eye. You want to have strong distinguishable borders so your ad will stand out but remember to keep to the correct image sizes for Facebook, Instagram or other web ads.
Step 3: Include Your Brand Colors
Remember, the goal is to make your ad stand out so that viewers will click on it! The best way to do that is to choose imagery and fonts that are colorful and impactful.
Including easily recognizable brand colors in your ad imagery is crucial for catching the attention of potential guests. Also remember to include your logo or other symbols associated with your salon or spa. This helps potential guests remember your brand as they start seeing your ads online.
Step 4: Edit and Finalize the Image
To edit your photos into a beautiful masterpiece of advertising, we suggest using the free design platform Canva. Inside Canva you can edit everything from the layout of your images to flashy fonts and styles.
Once you’ve finished designing your image, take a step back and look at it from the perspective of your future guests. Is the image too cluttered? Does it convey a clear service or benefit? If not, consider rearranging some items or removing them entirely.
The goal is to come up with a design that is crisp, clean and delivers a clear message.
Once your image is done, you can easily upload it into ezAds to create a digital marketing campaign in just four simple steps.
A great ad design helps you supercharge your conversion rates and attract more sales, guests, and bookings. By following the tips above, you will create dazzling images that will boost your business and put you on everyone’s radar. Now get out there and become the next Picasso of digital design.
If you have any questions or doubts, never hesitate to ask for help at firstname.lastname@example.org